Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hanaway Family Reunion

Bert and Eva Hanaway
January 15, 1901
Wedding photo

I always look forward to the month of July. Not only to celebrate the 4th of July, which is always a fun time to bar-b-que and watch fireworks, but a month to remember and honor our ancestors who fought for our freedom. Like so very many other people, I have quite a number of relatives who fought not only in the Civil War but also the Revolutionary War.

Since 1956 my Hanaway relatives have held a family reunion in the month of July. My G Grandfather Marion Albert "Bert" Hanaway died July 19, 1955 and shortly thereafter, April 26, 1956 his beloved wife, my G Grandmother Eva passed away. Their eight children started the family reunion as a way of gathering together and celebrating their parents lives. Bert and Eva had 42 grandchildren, 141 great grandchildren, and at this point in time over 269 great great grandchildren. I'm not sure how many ggg grandchildren they have.

We are bound together by family roots. Hanaway family roots, Deneau, Boudreau, Senesac, Bowsher, Hockenberry, Donavan, Yarnell, Bunnell, Castner, and oh so many more fruitful family roots. We gather together to celebrate where we came from, to renew family ties, to meet and greet new additions to our family tree, to reminisce, to eat together, to laugh, take family pictures and catch up with long lost cousins. This year we are once again blessed to celebrate with Bert and Eva's youngest daughter and only living child, my beloved Great Aunt Bernice! How lucky we are!

Our numbers may not always be many. Some of our younger generations have yet to develop an interest in family members they are related to but may not know. They may not make a point of attending for one reason or another. Although I have always loved going to this event, I too remember when I was younger being a bit uncomfortable meeting a lot of relatives who looked familiar but I really didn't know. I would always gravitate to my many cousins who I knew very well. They were and still are a fun group to be with! There are never enough of those times so when a reunion comes around, you bet I'll be there. I'm also going to be involved! I'm really lucky that all of my children actually like going too!

As I have discovered in the last ten years of doing family research, I am not alone in my quest for knowledge of where I came from. Several other family members have taken to shaking our tree. I love to share discoveries and learn about new connections. I really don't mind being called the genealogy addict in our family! Happy times, here I come!

No comments:

The Family

The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together. ~Erma Bombeck

Genealogy Pox, author unknown

WARNING: GENEALOGY POX IS VERY CONTAGIOUS!

SYMPTOMS: Continual complaint as to need for names, dates and places. Patient has a blank expressions, sometimes deaf to spouse and children. Has no taste for work of any kind, except feverishly looking through records at libraries and courthouses.
Has a compulsion to write letters. Swears at mailman when he doesn't leave mail. Frequents strange places such as cemeteries, ruins, and remote desolate country areas. Makes secret night calls and hides phone bills from spouse. Mumbles to self. Has strange, faraway look in eyes.

NO KNOWN CURE!

TREATMENT: Medication is useless. This disease is not fatal, but gets progressively worse. Patient should attend genealogy workshops, subscribe to genealogical magazines and be given a quiet corner in the house where he/she can be alone.

REMARKS: The unusual nature of this disease is that the sicker the patient gets, the more he or she enjoys it!