Sunday, January 10, 2010

Happy 101 Award



Thank you to Becky from Grace and Glory for awarding this really neat honor! I have enjoyed Becky's stories and pictures of her family history for quite awhile!

I am to name ten things that make me happy~~~gosh that is an EASY requirement! Here it goes....


1) All my children, I am blessed to be their Mom. I am trying so hard to document all of our good times together!
2) My sister and her family, my many, many cousins, and other family members who tolerate my consistent questioning about our ancestry.
3) I am so happy that I work at two different libraries. One an academic and the other a public. Both offering me opportunities to spread the "genealogy" bug to students, faculty, staff, and patrons! Thank you.
4) My friends who never seem to tire of my chatter regarding my newest "discovery" or brickwall!
5) My grandmother and my mother's recipe boxes! Not only are the recipes terrific, but many are in their own handwriting!
6) Family photographs, especially those from my mother and grandmother. I always love looking at them and discovering something new!
7) Chocolate cake, chocolate brownies, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate ice cream, get the idea?
8) A home cooked dinner that someone ELSE has made. I am not fussy! It will be delicious I am sure!
9) Dakota, Anya, and Kaylee, the family pooches~~ who keep me company and let me work without any interruptions by sleeping on my bed or next to my chair whenever I am on my computer.
10) My genealogy friends and internet friends who tolerate my gift of gab and never ending questions.

Now, I am to pass this terrific award onto other blogs that I enjoy. Here they are....

Judith at Genealogy Traces
Wendy at All My Branches Genealogy
Sheri at Twig Talk who is recovering from a really awful fall.
Leah at Random Notes
Elizabeth at Little Bytes of Life

I am delighted to see that the following blogs have already been awarded this honor as well:

Becky from Kinnexions
Apple from Apple's Tree
Jasia from Creative Gene

3 comments:

Leah Kleylein said...

Thanks so much for giving me the Happy award!!! also, thanks for the tip about Chicago marriage licenses - I did an initial search and didn't come up with anything so I'm going to have to dig some more!

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Thanks so very much! I like this award ~ must be because it's "sweet"! I love your new blog background.

Taylorstales-Genealogy said...

Judith,
Thank you for noticing that I changed things around a little bit on my blog. It was two years old and TIME for a change! Have a great day friend!

The Family

The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together. ~Erma Bombeck

Genealogy Pox, author unknown

WARNING: GENEALOGY POX IS VERY CONTAGIOUS!

SYMPTOMS: Continual complaint as to need for names, dates and places. Patient has a blank expressions, sometimes deaf to spouse and children. Has no taste for work of any kind, except feverishly looking through records at libraries and courthouses.
Has a compulsion to write letters. Swears at mailman when he doesn't leave mail. Frequents strange places such as cemeteries, ruins, and remote desolate country areas. Makes secret night calls and hides phone bills from spouse. Mumbles to self. Has strange, faraway look in eyes.

NO KNOWN CURE!

TREATMENT: Medication is useless. This disease is not fatal, but gets progressively worse. Patient should attend genealogy workshops, subscribe to genealogical magazines and be given a quiet corner in the house where he/she can be alone.

REMARKS: The unusual nature of this disease is that the sicker the patient gets, the more he or she enjoys it!