Saturday, February 13, 2010

Third Annual iGene Awards, Best of the Best

The topic for this 90th edition of the Carnival of Genealogy is the iGene Awards, Best of the Best, (thank you Jasia). Time for the Academy of Genealogy and Family History to honor what we feel are our own best blog posts of 2009 in the following five areas. So, here it goes....

Best Picture of 2009 would have to be one on my first blog posts of 2009 and is one of my favorites. It is a three generation picture of my grandfather Steve, my father Norb and myself when I was about one year old. It is the only picture I have of the three of us together.


Best Screen Play of 2009, How to be a Mean Mom. What a name for a screen play huh? Well, if I had to choose actors to star in this movie I would pick Katherine Hepburn to play my mother for she portrayed women in a real down to earth fashion. I always loved
Ms. Hepburn and so did my mom. To play my part I would choose Sandra Bullock or Reese Witherspoon (I can dream can't I?), especially after watching Sandra in the movie the Blindside--and I loved Reese in the movie Walk the Line. Go ladies!


Best Documentary of 2009 would be one of the first blog posts about my Sommer/Rusch relatives from Germany. It is really an ongoing series about my German relatives from Neckargemund, Neckarsteinach, and Cleebronn Germany. I have been so fortunate to discover so many of my family records that are available from the Family History Library.

Best Biography of 2009, well, it's not really a biography but it certainly is a story. My uncle shared several stories from his youth of my great grandparents Bert and Eva Hanaway. I had never heard those stories before and my uncle told them in such a manner that I thought I was there with him. It was a great afternoon for sharing family history.

Best Comedy of 2009 is an easy one. It HAS to be the picture of my grandmother Lucy getting a big smooch (yuck!) from a camel while vacationing in Greece! I can just hear my grandmother laughing out loud when I look at this picture.

So, there they are...the five blog posts that I think are some of my best of 2009. Take a moment and visit some of them and share with me your comments please!

2 comments:

J.M. said...

Great posts! I loved the three generation picture and the camel one!

Alexander said...

Great post very interesting to see what you thought.

The Family

The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together. ~Erma Bombeck

Genealogy Pox, author unknown

WARNING: GENEALOGY POX IS VERY CONTAGIOUS!

SYMPTOMS: Continual complaint as to need for names, dates and places. Patient has a blank expressions, sometimes deaf to spouse and children. Has no taste for work of any kind, except feverishly looking through records at libraries and courthouses.
Has a compulsion to write letters. Swears at mailman when he doesn't leave mail. Frequents strange places such as cemeteries, ruins, and remote desolate country areas. Makes secret night calls and hides phone bills from spouse. Mumbles to self. Has strange, faraway look in eyes.

NO KNOWN CURE!

TREATMENT: Medication is useless. This disease is not fatal, but gets progressively worse. Patient should attend genealogy workshops, subscribe to genealogical magazines and be given a quiet corner in the house where he/she can be alone.

REMARKS: The unusual nature of this disease is that the sicker the patient gets, the more he or she enjoys it!